Thursday, December 2, 2010

What I Learned

As a college senior graduating in May, I have started to think about what I want to do after graduation. While I've considered every possible career from pastry chef to entrepreneur, I've narrowed down my options.
I think I would like to go into publishing after graduation. I love to read and always thought it would be awesome to be involved in the process, getting to read books before they even go into the stores. I think being an editor would be great because then I could be involved in the process of making the book better and seeing it through from start to finish.

My internship has helped to prepare me for a job in publishing by giving me editing roles. The interns need to write blog posts every week and I edit them, which helps me to gain experience in copyediting. There are also many different departments within a publishing house and I believe my internship has helped to prepare me for most of them. Because we do a lot of marketing projects in my internship (I have designed flyers and made up slogans among other things), I believe I can now be successful working in a marketing department or public relations as well.

The internship has also given me experience in project management and group work. I have experience in working both by myself and with a team. And because my internship is with the career development center, it has helped me in terms of my own career development. I have been forced to network with business professionals and attended informational panels. I have also taken career assessments that taught me more about myself and helped me to see what my strengths and weaknesses were within certain professions.

All in all, I think my internship helped to prepare me for a career by helping me to learn more about myself.

1 comment:

  1. Kayla,

    It sounds like you really gained a lot of useful skills at your internship. I liked how you talked about how your skills can be used in multiple careers instead of just one.

    Publishing sounds like a great career choice, although my vote would still probably go to pastry chef. Good luck!

    -Eli

    ReplyDelete