Friday, December 17, 2010

Intern in Real Life

One of my dream jobs is to be an editor. In searching the internet to see what jobs are out there I found the following job description for a position at Harper-Collins: I am

Title:Editor
Description:
Description:

To be responsible for wide range of editorial and publishing tasks with a concentration on hands-on editorial work and high-level acquisitions.


Specific Responsibilities:

• Acquires and edits original manuscripts.

• Edits existing projects; works closely with the Editorial Director on special projects and the Editorial Director on editorial back-up.

• Manages significant ongoing editorial programs such as MY WEIRD SCHOOL and FLAT STANLEY

• Will work directly with the executive editor on selected projects.

• Develops IP (Intellectual Property) in collaboration with team and IP director

• Deals directly with authors, illustrators and agents.

• Negotiates contracts; participates in all stages of book production from receipt of manuscript to actual publication; writes copy, marketing and launch notes.

• Works with designers, copyeditors, sales, design and subrights in the execution of tasks.
Requirements:Background Required:

Must possess college degree or equivalent work experience; significant prior work experience, preferably in children’s books; college-level understanding and use of the English language; attention to detail, be self-motivated, well organized.





I am really excited about this position because it is in book editing and it is more than just copy-editing. Here is a cover letter I would send in along with my resume from the previous post:

To Whom it May Concern

Ever since I was little, I always loved to read. My parents would read me stories before bedtime and I would become enthralled in them. I loved getting lost in the story and had always wanted to go into a career where I could work with books.
I explored editing in high school, when my sister would ask me to edit her school papers. I enjoyed it and when I got to college I joined my school's literary magazine as an editor and later as editor-in-chief. Through this position I learned how to lead a group of people and delegate tasks. I also learned time management and how to multitask.
My education in English and Communications has helped me to improve both my writing and verbal communication skills. Classes I have taken, such as creative writing, have helped me to hone in on my editing skills along with running the magazine.
As a result of previous work and internship experiences, I have attained organizational and communication skills. I have gained a lot of experience in project management from my internship with the Career Development Center. I work well in a group or by myself and can put creative ideas into effect.
Working as an editor at HarperCollins would allow me to utilize the writing, editing, and communication skills I have gained as an English major and allow me to gain practical experience while applying concepts learned in the classroom.





No comments:

Post a Comment